Thursday 3 May 2007

playing around with stuff


I went to an auction of framing equipment and supplies on Wednesday and ended up with a couple of kilos of sticky screenboard. I don't know what it's usually used for but I started playing around with it, thinking I might make a picture using wool, like a kindergarten kid. The stickyness wasn't strong enough to hold the wool, but it was just perfect for picking up the fine fillaments left by the wool when I took it off. I found some black satin and pulled at the frayed edge to get some fine stringy bits and let them fall randomly on the sticky board. With a little coaxing, this woman emerged. I pushed the board up against my red jumper and got some nice red wooly fillaments for the background, and pushed a ball of purple wool onto it too. Then I pressed my head onto it and got some hair, and my colleagues jacket for some other lint. The board isn't very sticky now. Click on it to see the lint in all it's glorious detail.

2 comments:

fifi said...

THAT'S very cool, miss bower.( I hope that isn't pubic hair in the background, though you assure us it is lint.)
It looks like an amazing drawing, or an etching, but its wool.
I wonder who she is?
Is your muse visiting you late at night?
mine is.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bower Babe,

You're such a creative soul - bloody clever too.
This woman reminds me of a very satisfied Klimpt style dreamy lover... A thing of great beauty made with great quirkiness.
Loving your work!
Caffx