Monday 18 February 2008

That was the man in the mission brown suit


For as long as I can remember, I have been drawn to men in suits. Often, when I put pen to paper, little caricatures would emerge, always dressed in a suit and tie. It seems to be happening with my sculpture too. I begin with a vague idea of who I might construct, and if it's a guy, he always ends up suited, (this one was supposed to be naked.)
I read somewhere recently that people with red hair would eventually disappear. It turned out to be a furphy, but when I found the orange haystack that became his hair, I began to piece together who he was and what he represented.
He's a bit of a 70's guy. Sideburns, Dennis Lillee moustache and he's wearing the mission brown suit. He's fallen over (or was he pushed for being so outdated?) and is struggling to get back up. He looks scared, humiliated, alone. I feel a bit sorry for him, but he really is redundant.
Like the plastic he is constructed from, he is no longer necessary and has been cast aside, like his suit, his hair.
I am led to believe, and I could be the gullible recipient of a great story, that the colour "Mission Brown" so popular in the 1970's, but abhorred today, came about by the mixing of a number of tins of coloured paints that had been donated to a Christian mission looking to paint their mission buildings. I like the idea that his suit is the colour derived from this use of leftover, or waste resources. He's my kind of guy.

7 comments:

fifi said...

I believe mission brown is having something of a renaissance, paired with any number of funky colours particularly.

men in suits. interesting.

Anonymous said...

I hate suits...I hate suits in a Sydney summer...and I hate mission brown...what an uninspiring colour

Anonymous said...

But I love your sculpture...just gotta get a handle on this blogger interface..David

jane said...

Yes Fiona, I too think it's interesting, but my penchant for suits landed me in more than my fair share of trouble.It's a love hate relationship we have.
David I agree. Ridiculous attire for the Sydney summer, but so, so, sexy. I'm happy to watch them squirm.

Pod said...

extraordinary! i have to say he looks a little like me, but alas i am blond. he looks like the last surviving brown suited red head, crawling to the feet of some fat controller to beg to be spawned....

sorry haven't passed on promised plastic mysteries. haven't forgotten. have had the rug pulled from under my feet a little, but will call you soon
;0)

Bobby D. said...

me too, with the men in suits! I always doodled them in suits too. I have an old rubbery dollhouse man in a suit, a good third of the top of his head is missing (I assume he is in a vegetative state and am unable to throw him away) he's very small and forlorn, still wearing his his little white shirt and tie, and mission brown pants. He seems to have left his suit jacket someplace and he'll never remember where.

your artworks are inspiring - very much so.

jane said...

thanks D.C. I haven't put up much here of late because I'm working on another project due to be unveiled in November. I will, however, post a picture of the callous I've developed from cutting plastic with scissors.